Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Afraid to Fly by S.L. Jennings








I’d like to tell you that I’m ok.


That the meaningless sex with countless women has somehow numbed the pain. That it’s deciphered the constant confusion in my head. Eased the self-hatred that sinks into my gut every time I look in the mirror.

I’d like to tell you that time heals all wounds. 

That we evolve and grow into well-adjusted, stable adults, set on a path to right the world’s wrongs. That we are not our past…we are not our pain. 

I want to tell you all those things. Hell, I want to believe all those things. But I’d be lying. I’m good at that. Living a lie is the only way I truly know how to survive. 
But the day I saw her, I stopped surviving. I stopped existing. And for the first time in 24 years, I started living. 

She brought me back to life. Set me free and sent my soul soaring. Made this useless shell of a man feel like…something. Something whole and real and good. 

She saved me.
Although she believes I wasn’t even worth saving.


This story chronicles the journey of Dominic Trevino, a character from Fear of Falling. However, it can be read as a standalone.




Dirty Dom

Wow, I thought he was a dirty, heartless player, like his name states.... but boy was I wrong.

Sex was like a soothing balm to the remembrance of pain. 
Pain, shame, disgust, humiliation. It helped to quiet them all.
Let me rephrase, he is a player.. but he is so much more than that. So much more than I thought he was going to be.
Wow! Get your tissues ready people!


I read the first book, Fear of Falling, which is where Dom was first introduced, but it had been such a long time that I really didn't remember much of it. oops
But that was fine. The first 20 percent was a bit of a recap, with all the previous characters present. 
Soon I was just fine and on my way. 

This story is ultimately about Dom and Raven.. 
but it's also very much about the bond between Dom, Kam and Angel. 
These three, together, are unbreakable.. which is ironic for such broken souls. 
They are the glue that holds the other together and although it seems strange to some, their relationship is beautiful.

Everyone perceives Dominic to be a confident, outgoing, womanizer, especially Raven.. 
but he is so far from that. 
He's kind and generous. 
He is the ultimate friend.
He loves his job working with children. 
He is everything on the outside he only wishes he could be on the inside.
We get hints here and there on what makes him the way he is, but when his secrets are revealed! Brace yourself!
 Dom's childhood was gut wrenching and had me in tears. 
So much emotion and utter heartbreak. 
Bravo S.L. Jennings. Dominic is a very complex and beautiful character and you have made me fall for him wholeheartedly! 

Raven has her own set of problems and heartbreak.
Dom is instantly attracted to her and doesn't understand why she insists on looking at him as if he were a piece of gum under her shoe!



Yes there is pain, and tears and overwhelming sadness... but thankfully there is a lot of humor and laugh out loud moments as well! Thank goodness for jokes between these friends, because if not for that, I would have been reduced to a puddle on the floor for sure!

 Does Angel get a book of her own?? I'd love for her to get her HEA as well.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...